Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Survival English Update

When planning a lesson for this week using possibility (if + will, etc) for a more advanced level class, my coworker decided to test them, because we are still hung up on the fact so many people thought you should drink water if you swallow poison. We tend to make flash cards with prompts on them for the students to then talk about their real ideas using the grammar point for the end of class. My coworker snuck in "swallow poison" for one of them. The verdict is in. Every student but two of my favorites said "drink water?" And I continue to save lives...

A really old man student recently requested that I now be his private lesson teacher, instead of my male coworker (hmm). We had our first lesson today. He amused me by researching me. At the beginning of the lesson he whipped out a thick pile of articles/stuff from the internet (my first thought-"well I guess there was no point in prepping a lesson for today"). He was told I was a criminology major, so he printed pages off the internet about it, and also about California, as well as articles about that Lindsay Nova teacher girl who was murdered in Japan (since we have a lot in common having the same name and all), and proceeded to lecture me about being safe and not meeting students alone. Yet, he then invited me to meet him at an izakaya sometime just the two of us. Ha. I have a feeling these lessons will be interesting. He is very hard of hearing so I have to basically yell when speaking to him, even though he is sitting about 2 feet away from me.

I am now only being reviewed for three lessons instead of five. I am so disappointed?

My water was shut off this morning to my surprise. Actually, I remembered seeing a notice under my door a few weeks ago but I ignored it since I couldn't read it, so it was probably informing me the water would be shut off for what I'm assuming maintenance reasons (it's back on now). I had a great time washing my face with bottled water. Speaking of my water here-- it is making me lose all my hair. I never used to shed much, and now my hair is EVERYWHERE. I'm starting to worry about going bald, as I don't have a ton of hair to begin with. However, my nails which are normally thin and brittle are now strong and grow long without breaking. So I guess this extreme mineral induced water is both a gift and a curse.

It's so hot and humid here, I have already melted 3 times today.

No comments: