Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Amusement

I had a very amusing lesson today. Here I was, annoyed they threw a random private lesson into the middle of my empty day (I know, it's tough haha), but it wound up being the highlight of my day. I was completely exhausted from staying up way too late last night so I had a bunch of coffee right before AND a Japanese energy drink (intense) so when she arrived I was on crack. I've taught her before, she's cool but her vocab sucks. I was dreading the lesson because it was teaching about how to talk about what's physically wrong with you. See example:
A) What's wrong?
B) My knee hurts!

I have taught it before. The reason I was dreading it is because Japanese people are already huge hypochondriacs, so I don't like the idea of encouraging them by teaching them how to be hypochondriacs in English haha. Anyway...so back to my student and her poor vocabulary. I had little posters all over the white board with different body parts to practice complaining about and I thought I would go over them with her to make sure she knew the vocabulary. So entertaining. I would call out a body part and she would point to it on her body. She knew the basics, but thought knees were elbows, and the best is when I said "toes" and she opened her mouth, stuck her tongue out, and pointed to it. That was when I almost burst out laughing/decided to teach her "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes." So we spent a few minutes singing it with the hand motions like we were in preschool. I am pretty sure she is older than me. Random story but very entertaining. 2 days until payday. The end.

1 comment:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Very creative teaching techniques! :) Next you can do, "The knee bone's connected to the hip bone....the hip bone's connected to them...something something..." :) haha!