Monday, July 21, 2008

$$$$

I finally went shopping today. To be honest, this was my first time actually buying anything since I got here (April!!). Yeah, that's really really weird coming from a shopoholic. But, it's been difficult shopping because a) it's hard for me to shop at name brand stores here because the prices are 3x as much as they are in the states (even like The Gap) so I have just now been able to accept that Japan is unfair and expensive and you just have to deal, b) A lot of Japanese fashion is super cute...but is SO "Japanese" that I think I would feel ridiculous wearing it. Like a poser or something, and c) There is just too much stuff. I know that sounds like an odd complaint, but you really have no idea how packed these stores/malls are. On one floor of a popular mall there are probably 13 stores all on top of eachother full of stuff and full of people. It's actually really overwhelming, especially if you are just "browsing." I was actually starting to believe maybe I was a changed woman who didn't need material possessions to make myself happy. Well, I just woke up a monster. I am already fantasizing about what I am going to buy when I get paid on Friday...dun dun dun.

One thing I really love about Japan, and this probably goes for big cities in general, is no matter how many times I go to the same places, I am always entertained. There are so many weird people walking around, haha! I wasn't able to take many pictures because that's, well, rude, but I saw lots of people dressed like anime characters (and also discovered an ENTIRE FLOOR of a big mall devoted to dressing like them), and I also saw a man walking around with a stroller....that had three cats sleeping in it! Wtf! Haha.

1 comment:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Hahaha! That is awesome about the guy with his cats! I went to a little department store the other day and there were goats eating the front bushes...thats a new one ;) Good times in foreign places, right??