Sunday, February 1, 2009

I'm about 15 years late I guess

I had some free time on my hands today so I decided to watch the newest Simpsons episode. The plot involved Lisa making this creepy friend who she invented an imaginary world with. I totally didn't get the reference so I looked it up online.

It was a parody of Heavenly Creatures-in case you are missing this old pop culture reference (like me up until today)- that is an apparently iconic cult (lesbian?) movie made by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) in 1994. I saw that one of my most favorite actresses, Kate Winslet, starred in it (maybe her first role?), and it sounded creepy. So, with my interest in creepy/scary films (I know, morbid right?) I decided to watch it. I will say it was incredibly disturbing. It is a true story about two over imaginative teenage girls in New Zealand who became friends and spent most of their time in la la land with an imaginary world they created thinking they were more special than anyone else, but the friendship was over the top intense, and it started becoming homosexual, and their parents became really concerned (especially since it was the 50s and homosexuality was a big no-no), and decided to send Kate Winslet's character to South Africa instead. The other girl's mother was a really sweet, humble housewife who was really concerned about the welfare of her daughter (a total outcast freak), and she was pro the separation as well. Anyway to make a long story short, the girls decide that the only way to be together is to kill her. So, they take her out for tea and act really sweet, the mother is rather chipper believing she is finally bonding with her daughter, they take a walk on a deserted path and start beating her with a brick. Watching the scene, knowing it was really realistic to the real story, of a girl bludgeoning her innocent, unsuspecting mother to death (according to Wikepedia it took 45 blows), and her friend willingly helping her, made me really sick to my stomach. Just knowing she was alive for most of it and aware her own daughter was killing her was really heartbreaking. The movie makes it kind of clear that the girls had romantisized the concept of the murder, not realizing how horrible it truly would be....but it was still incredibly disturbing. (The reason this movie is apparently so accurate to the true story is because the other girl kept diaries detailing every thought she had, and the movie actually quotes her exact words--so creepy!).

BUT the fact that has made me feel SO DISTURBED is after finishing the movie I was curious what happened to the girls, as the credits said they were released from prison in the 60s, and found out Kate Winslet's character actually went on to become a (still current!) best selling MURDER mystery novelist, going by Anne Perry. I don't know...it is just the fact this girl committed a cold-blooded murder, and is now making a living and being internationally praised for writing murder mysteries and not seeming to have much remorse (I watched an interview with her on youtube and she seems rather nonchalant about the whole thing) is just so unrepentant and creepy. (Oh yeah, and she is now Mormon?!)

I guess I am just really intrigued with the criminal mind! So that is my random, morbid two cents to get your Superbowl Sunday going! Haha! You're welcome! I don't know maybe you are all going, "Duh everyone knows this story!!"?? I guess this just happened a little before my time awareness wise (3rd grade). If not, I know I just spoiled the whole story for anyone who hasn't seen this, but actually knowing the story doesn't really affect the feeling the movie gives you. It is a brilliantly directed and acted film...and now I am just sitting here feeling uneasy. Haha. At least I didn't have creepy friendships like that growing up. =)

3 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Eeeeeeewwww....CREEEEEEPY!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"I guess I am just really intrigued with the criminal mind!..."

All the more reason why you should consider a career as an analyst in law enforcement or homeland security.

Dad

Fru Johannesson said...

First, I love your dad's comment above. Very parenty (no offense whatsoever Dad). Second, totally creepy! Ew how could she be a successful author?! I want to see the movie, but the I don't...