Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Attempt #2

= FAIL.

I tried just natto mixed in with rice this morning, trying to have a well balanced Japanese diet. It took me about 3 minutes to chew down each spoonful. After about 4 spoonfuls I started gagging. Earlier, I thought the disgusting texture was because of the raw egg--guess not! The texture is hard to describe. It's like eating boogers mixed with beans and spider webs and then puking it into a bowl, and then eating it again. I am pretty sure I was accurate with my description. The funny thing is, the taste isn't bad at all...it's just that damn texture! Funny how much of an influence texture has on us! Therefore, I decided I clearly wasn't fit to eat this foul stuff, so in the rubbish it went!

My thoughts: What a waste of rice!

*I FINALLY found brown rice. Expensive but worth the find! You have noooo idea how hard it is to find whole grains here!


My student today pish poshed my use of raw egg previously and told me I must mix the natto with MAYONNAISE and eat it alone... no rice! I asked her, "JUST natto and mayonnaise?!" And she goes, "And soy sauce." Like, duhhhhh soy sauce makes everything delicious! DUH. I threw that suggestion away before her words finished leaving her mouth. My short relationship with natto is OVER. At least I gave it a fair go!

HOWEVER I had my friend Jenny over for dinner tonight (probably the influence to my British vocabulary usage in this blog, ha) and cooked a delicious dinner of Carolina shrimp and gravy over rice. It was delicious, Southern, and 100% non-Asian. I proved real food CAN be cooked in Japan! We ate it all. It took me all morning to de-vein the shrimp (for some reason I thought it would only take me like 15 minutes, ha!), but it was worth it! I was just so excited to find a good non-Asian recipe I could find all the ingredients for. It gets old seeing lots of delicious sounding recipes and reading the ingedient list going, nevermind, no chance in hell I will find half these ingredients here! And, she brought me my Christmas gift from her that I left at her house ages ago. She brought me fresh gingerbread from this famous British shop and this mint cake thing made from pure mint and sugar when she went home to England for the holidays. Miraculously the gingerbread was still good after all this time haha. I had been dreaming about it since she presented me with the gift a few weeks ago. =)

And that is my story about food today!

3 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

I liked your failed attempt :) I've been a little scared to try Caribbean food: iguana, ribs, etc. since the meat is all pretty sketchy here! :) Good job, though, for trying things! Haha!

Isn't it funny all the little things you learn to appreciate? For example, they had cheddar cheese soup mix at the store the other day. I was VERY excited.... :) hahah

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

p.s. you should take pictures of your grocery store! I want to see what it looks like!

Fru Johannesson said...

i am really enjoying your use of the *. Random, but true.