Tuesday, February 17, 2009

So....yeah...

Looks like I've got another little trip coming up in a month! My coworker was gifted generously by one of our students with this magical ticket that gives 4 people accommodation and a nice meal (I think, the ticket was in Japanese after all) to this little middle of no where mountain area in Oita at this nice ryokan (traditional Japanese hotel) and hot spring. This area is supposed to be pretty beautiful as my coworkers got very excited when told about it. Oita is located East of Fukuoka and is acclaimed for it's beautiful scenery and many many many hot springs. So yay for that. We were going to go over my bday weekend but one of our coworker's can't go then so we decided to go the following weekend--this all makes me somewhat relieved. I have been feeling a little down and ancy about my upcoming bday. I hate hate hate planning things for myself--for the past 4 years I have had a joint bday shin dig with one of my best best friend's ever who's bday is the day before mine-- so I was prepared to just sit this one out and let it *hopefully quickly* pass me by (24 is kinda a ho hum age anyway, right??). Yet, it still made me feel a little sad to spend my bday alone here in Jland. Therefore, even though it won't technically be over my bday anymore, it is nice to be doing something somewhat "birthday related" with good people. =)

Which brings me to my other point...the ticket is for 4 people and everyone at work is now invited which means it isn't free anymore, which means paying for part of it as well as the transport, etc etc. That totally isn't a big deal at all. But, I am starting to realize that perhaps I have been a little too ambitious with this idea of taking a big trip when I finish up here. Because with these new plans, my parents coming soon, other places I wanna go here......saving is just not really an option any time soon! Maybe it is better to just do little things like this every month and enjoy myself more by indulging in local opportunities, and not be broke all the time (it's really starting to get old). Or....maybe I should just tighten my budget belt and be skint in order to save for the greater good of going somewhere totally different in the end? Advice? Suggestions? Right now I am leaning towards the 1st choice, but going somewhere else that is foreign, exotic, and just not here is also tempting as I basically want to go EVERYWHERE now. Please tell me what you think.

Bottom line: Would I be forgoing opportunities or creating them by not planning an extra trip later?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a thought and a fact:
If you save only $2/day and invest approximately $60/month; with compound interest, you'll be worth a little over $2million by the time you're 65.

Anonymous said...

As said before, you will probably get better RT airfares wherever you want to go by flying out of LAX rather than Japan. So you can come home, get settled, and then take trips as you can afford them.

Just my $ .02.

Dad