Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

OK, I'll actually be honest, but I really don't care much for the day (and that is not just because I am single haha). It's 95% commercial and sort of tacky. Japan makes it even WORSE because they over-commercialize EVERYTHING (yeah and you didn't think it was possible to top the US on such things) and...on Vday only GUYS get presents. The girls have to buy everything! True, on March 14 "White Day" comes around and the guys reciprocate but yeah I don't know about this...

My Vday was actually yesterday (thank you future time zone), and it wasn't too shabby for a commericialized random holiday I don't actually really care to celebrate haha. Even though I am a girl some of my students gave me chocolates. One of them is this really cute old lady and I was touched because she gave me some really expensive ones. It is NOT a custom here to hug or touch people so I asked her if it was OK to hug her (since that's what I am used to doing when touched by a gift) and she didn't really seem to understand what I meant so I made an action to hug her and she cringed away from me like I was going to hit her....then ran away! Haha! Oh well, I tried. =) My friend had a little get together so about 8 of us had some drinks and food and then went out downtown. *At one of the bars we were at there was a "kissing" contest and it was just....absolutely disgusting. Disgusting kissing and realllllly disgusting looking drunk people. But of course I took pictures and videos. In case you were wondering, "Team Ass Crack" wound up winning. We dubbed them that because the girl was this huge ghastly looking thing who was humping her boyfriend(?) all over the stage with her ass crack hanging out the entire time. Classy!

ANYWAY if I were to use the good 5% of Vday, I would use it to express my love to people I care about! So, if you are my family or close friends reading this just know I love and think about you all very much and am very grateful for the constant support you always give me over here!

*How bitchy did that part of the paragraph sound??? Haha! I promise I'm not usually so much of a mean girl =)

1 comment:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Happy Valentines! A few days late :) How much longer do you have in Japan?? Put more pictures up :) Put pictures up of the normal places you go: grocery store, your apartment, your street, etc. I need to get a better feel of the whole Japanese experience :)