Tuesday, January 27, 2009

24 and cuisine feedback

I was skeptical about this new season...but I must admit it is really good so far. =) Jack Bauer is still such a badass. I <3 him. He is my hero. However, I get frustrated watching this show sometimes when I take into consideration he has saved the country from 3 nuclear bombs and counting, deadly viruses, nerve gas, and so on (all remarkably each in 24 hours!), and also done time in a China torture prison for the country's screw up, and never once complained. Yet, no one ever trusts or believes him when he tells them something, and in fact tend to do the opposite of what he says just to show him "who's boss". I guess if they did listen though, the show would be called "12"...maybe even "3" =). It is kind of annoying watching this show week by week though as each episode ends with about a trazillion (is that even a number?) cliff hangers. Overall, I recommend it to you if you've been skeptical about getting back into the commitment Jack Bauer requires of you. I don't blame you, it is more time consuming than appears (somehow in university I managed to catch up from Season 1-Season 6 in about the span of a few months...which is about 144 hours of TV if you take the "24 real time" thing literally...and somehow still slept, ate, and had a life. I am unsure how I did that either...but I was at the point of dreaming about it. Ok enough of me on a random and unnecessary rant about my ridiculous commitment to a fictional TV show and character in parenthesis!).

I thought I would wake up early today (go me!) and try and be super Japanese by making myself a "traditional Japanese breakfast." This can include: rice, natto, and raw egg mixed with soy sauce. A lot of people hate natto, because it is fermented soy beans and smells kind of weird/has a slimy texture (see link), but it doesn't bother me too much. It is also very very healthy for you. HOWEVER mixed with raw egg was just TOO much for me. Looking at the final product in the bowl, not to be too graphic, but it looked like I just puked up a bowl of snott mixed with some rice and soybeans. And..after a few forced bites, I was eating raw egg. I don't know what I was really expecting...maybe the heat of the rice would cook the egg or something? I don't know. In the garbage that went. And then I spent the next hour and a half dry heaving every time I thought about it. Tomorrow I am going to try it without the egg and see if that is any better, as the egg seemed the be the real deal breaker. Other elements of a Japanese breakfast can include miso soup, fish, pickled things, etc, um yeah basically the same exact things they eat for lunch and dinner =). I think it might be part of the secret to their skininess, so I want to experiment for a little with it, as the portions/food groups make sense as a good way to get the day started.

For dinner I had rich, spicy, delicious, HEAVY Indian curry and beer. Perhaps my day wasn't so balanced nutrition wise =). I did eat sushi for lunch though!

2 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Eeeewwwww!!!!!! That is yucky!!!!! :) I've thought about trying some of the VERY traditional caribbean food, which consists of iguana and stuff like that...but I haven't been able to bring myself to it...let alone preparing it myself! Ha! You are brave ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok Malt, there's a little thing called salmonella poisoning, and I've never had it, but I am assuming it is NOT worth the cultural experience of eating RAW eggs!!! Stick to sticky beans :) Love, the concerned ex-roomie (Jess)