Friday, January 16, 2009

"URASAI!"

I was told to shut up by a Japanese businessman on the train tonight. I was shocked. Like, eyes popping out of my head, jaw on the ground style. Not because I was told to shut up, but because it was by a Japanese person. You have no idea how rare a moment like that is over here!! I felt like I just spotted an Arakan Forest Turtle. I almost wanted to take a picture with him to document it haha. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. ;)

However, since it was Friday night, there is a 99.9% chance he was wasted, so I am not sure if it even counts or not. Speaking of drunk businessmen, it never gets old waiting in my neat, single file line on Friday night and observing completely smashed businessmen, bright red in the face, being practically carried by two or three of their friends. It is even better when their friends decide to trust them a little and set them down...near the stairs...and the drunkies begin to sway back and forth at the top of the stairs until their friends realize what they just did, and proceed to carry them away somewhere. I have seen plenty of drunk people in my life so far, but these people tend to take the gold in that category (the chances of seeing lots of this increases by 600% if Friday happens to coincide with payday--most people in Japan including myself are paid on the same day). My favorite memory so far is when I was walking to a friend's house one night and passed by a man unconscious on the ground near the street. At first I wondered if he was dead, but then I realized two people who were possibly his friends were standing nearby and looked rather calm AND there was a bottle of green tea near his hand so I figured it was all good. Passing out in the street is a popular sport here.

BTW-I am officially declaring Sunday to be "correspondence day" so if you are one of the many that are on my large list of owed emails (yes I actually made a list I have been that slack offish), check your email sometime on Sunday!

*For the record I was not speaking very loudly on the train.

No comments: