Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Really funny day

Several random things happened at work today that had me laughing quite a bit.

1. In one of my advanced classes tonight I only had two students and we were talking about rules and regulations, and somehow the conversation turned towards designated smoking areas. They commented that the areas are getting smaller and smaller. One student said she didn't care because she hates smoking. The other, an older businessman, didn't say anything, so I asked him if he smoked. He said, "I smoke...but not cigarettes. Mine are medical. They kind of look like cigarettes." And gave me a "you know what I mean" look. I was thinking to myself OMG, wow did he just say that? The other student didn't get what he was saying so she asked him what he meant, and he said he carries it around with him in his man bag (every J man has one!) and pointed to it. I was like, "You carry it around with you???" And he goes, "Yeah, you want to see it?" And pulled out a pack of these weird medical cigarettes that are apparently good for your throat? I don't know but I almost fell off my chair laughing at myself and told him I thought he meant he smoked marijuana and then all three of us burst out laughing for a good deal of time.

2. Another university student told me in so many words or less that American Mormon missionaries came to his door and he talked to them for thirty minutes just so he could practice his English. He didn't really get the concept of a missionary, as most Japanese people don't due to hardly any religion here, so I tried to explain a little. I just thought it was kind of funny he talked to them just to practice English.

3. My last class was about making apologies. Someone had made cards for the expansion to practice apologizing. I have a really bad habit of not always looking through them before the lesson, trusting they are fine to use. The tops of the stacks had things like "I drank all your coffee" and other yawn things, but I couldn't really be bothered to make any other cards so I figured they would do. Imagine my surprise 2 minutes into the expansion when I get questions from groups such as "What does 'sat on your hamster' mean?" or "Swallowed your goldfish?" My student asking me about those, after realizing what they meant went "WHAT? When does this happen??!" Jokingly I told him they were common situations and he goes, "Americans do weird things then!" I was on the verge of peeing in my pants from laughter as the lesson went on and I watched students apologizing for burning down eachother's homes, driving their cars off mountains, and vomiting on their shoes. To think I originally thought they would be boring!

And that is all for now!

2 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Ha! So funny!! I love it!!! :) Keep the funny stories coming! "Sorry I vomited in your shoes!" hahahaha!!! :)

Lauren said...

HA! I made those! (Though I think Matt came up with the hamster one.)