Monday, August 18, 2008

The Sounds of Summer

When I hear crickets, I think summer.

In Japan, they hear cicadas, they think summer.

What is a cicada, you ask? You probably have your browser open enough to already see the picture of the disgusting enormous bug. That my friends, is a cicada. They are the bugs that live in the ground and come out every 7 years in the Washington DC area. Lucky for me, they come out EVERY summer in Japan! How special! Crickets make that charming chirpingish sound. Cicadas live in the trees and make this awful static mating sound all day and all night long. In fact, when they first started emerging, I was running in the park and thought my ipod was malfunctioning the sound was so harsh on my ears. Oh, and while I was running underneath trees I felt drops of what I thought was water on me. I was later informed that they pee or spit on you or something like that from the trees, so I now make sure to stay away from any known tree. The crickets are finally starting to take over, making summer evenings more pleasant, and the lovely cicada music is slowly drifting away. HOWEVER it is drifting away because they are dying and now leaving their disgusting dead bodies all over the freaking place.

And that is my blurb on cicadas.

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Ick, ick, ew & ew
Poor you!
Hope you didn't step in any goo that made you want to poo!
Love, Mom

Julianna said...

Mom's so embarrassing.