Saturday, August 30, 2008

Overreliance

I just spent the past five days without a computer due to a really nasty virus basically giving my computer AIDS. I have had plenty of computer related mishaps in my lifetime to understand how overreliant I am on my computer/the internet (especially in university around finals!). However, this week I REALLY realized how utterly important a computer is to me here...it is my lifeline to the world!!! I have the "internet" on my cell phone here, so I can check gmail and facebook (sort of), but it just isn't the same! I use the internet to keep on top of my shows, to read the news, and obviously to keep in touch with everyone! It would be impossible to live here without a computer. Let us hope this never happens again while I am here (ie I just installed an anti virus program--something I sort of neglected to have on my computer for the past year and a half...oops). I am just grateful my coworker speaks computer and was able to fix it (I can just imagine myself at a computer store trying to gesture out my problems)! He also supposedly saved my pictures and music, but at this moment I am unsure where they are? Now I just have that joyful task of redownloading/installing everything I can, except I was super prepared and brought like nothing with me, so I am not sure how I will be getting back some programs...

Over this week, in search of amusement, I actually turned on my TV. I seriously hate Japanese TV because it is a bunch of lame slapstick game shows (exactly that stuff you watch on youtube as a joke). It's so obnoxious it gives me a headache. BUT, my apartment has a satellite package included in my rent, and I discovered this channel that shows all the popular US dramas (CSI, Alias, Lost, etc) --of course like at least one season behind lol--as well as some movies. Most of it is in Japanese, but some shows are in English with subtitles. So that was at least a little useful. I also started a book my friend sent me in...May, I think =) Better late than never!

I am so incredibly busy (and on the tightest budget ever) this upcoming month!
Here is the lineup so far:

September 6-Work party
Weekend of September 13-Camping on Iki Island (sub-tropical island off Nagasaki)
Weekend of September 20- TOKYO!!!
Weekend of September 27-KYOTO/NARA!!!!

Cheers!

No comments: