Thursday, May 1, 2008

Quick Day "Trip"

I decided to do some exploring today so I went to check out Momochi Seaside Park. Only a couple subway stops from my home and about a 15-20 minute walk. You can tell the whole area is very very new and modern. Fukuoka Tower is there, and it is kinda like the Seattle Space Needle. So I decided to be touristy and go up to the top. Apparently since I am a foreigner I get discounts at "major" tourist attractions to promote tourism! So I only paid 640 yen instead of 800. Ha. Anyway the view was pretty neat. Except looking in a pamphlet they had up there I kinda wish I had gone at night to see the city with the lights and everything. Ohh well. To be honest I was not sure where Momochi Seaside Park was I had just wandered off in that direction, so I got excited when I saw below me, this little European/resort looking beach area thing and decided I wanted to go there next. Turns out that is Momochi Seaside Park, haha. So I went there after and sat down at a cafe and had a beer and french fries because I was starving and that was all they were serving at the moment. The beach itself is man-made with imported sand, so there are no waves. It was kind of weird to be sitting there in almost silence right next to the water! I kind of felt like I was on a private island or something. I decided to go check out "Hawks Town" next- the Softbank Hawks dome, and huge mall area they have attached to it (Softbank Hawks are Fukuoka's baseball team FYI). So I wandered over there and got ice cream. So by now I was feeling a tad homesick. I was at the beach, and just consumed beer, fries, and ice cream so I felt like a fat American, and was nearby a baseball stadium...yet I was surrounded by Japanese people and kanjii. I kinda just started yearning for a Dodger game, and a restaurant that spoke English to me when I sat down. Oh well. At least in Japan people are much more polite/eager to please their customers. For example- at the crepe/ice cream place I went to in the mall, I left my jacket. I had already wandered half way across the entire mall when I realized I had. I spun around to head back and low and behold, the lady at the counter was standing there, slightly breathless, holding my jacket. She had clearly hunted me down. In the US if this had happened they would have shrugged, and put it on the ground behind the counter in case I ever returned. I guess it isn't half bad here...

No comments: