Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Not to be morbid...

But I had to share my newfound awful information I learned last night around...2 am.

I already knew raw horse was a delicacy here. What I did NOT know until 2 am last night was that in some places, they actually cut off some of the horse while it is alive as you order it, and inject it with drugs and keep it alive and keep slicing off more and more. Apparently it is fresh and delicious that way. I think I almost cried. I know I am a total meat eater and cows and chickens, etc etc are slaughtered everyday for my stomach's enjoyment, but to keep an animal alive while doing that is just barbaric...and I just can't do what I consider "pets" (eg horses, dogs, etc) I am boycotting fresh raw horse from now on. (And no...I was not at a raw horse restaurant at 2 am, my coworker was sharing this information over drinks and a conversation regarding a dead octopus in the fish tank-don't ask).

Oh yes, why I have a newfound appreciation for American banks as awful as they are...at least THERE you can withdraw money from the bank! Here, the banks close at 3 pm, are closed on Saturdays, and no you cannot simply withdraw money from a teller. I mean why would you get money from a bank??? You are also charged when you withdraw cash from the atm....even if it is your bank's atm....(cue eyes rolling into the back of my head).

PS-I was just informed those oddly dressed people from my beach trip are actually a famous Japanese band famous for dressing odd? Who knew?

4 comments:

Geoff said...

1. RE horses, are you sure this isn't just an urban legend, brought up over drinks? I'm going to contact my friend John to see what he's heard. I'll report any findings.

2. Isn't there a branch of an American bank in a city the size of Fukuoka, where you could get your money easier and less expensively?

Anonymous said...

Jeez dad you don't have to investigate everything she writes...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Wow! I thought food was gross here! They eat a lot of iguana here, but no live horses. Wow...I think I would've cried, too...that is yucky.

I also have gained an appreciation for American things. We don't have ANY American banks here, but we do have an Ace Hardware, which is the closest thing to a Walmart on the island. We absolutely love that place. It has air conditioning, no hassle returns, and American products. Yes, it is overpriced. Yes, it is out of the way. Yes, it is a glorious manifestation as to why America is the No. 1 world power! :) Haha!

I have also gained an appreciation for customer service and not having to count out 13 cents in change because the lady asked for a smaller bill than a 1.00. Stupid, stupid people here.

I feel for you. We can vent and roll our eyes together :)