Saturday, May 17, 2008

Nothing too special over here....

but I feel like writing something. Hmm...what is new? I just completed a 6 day work week. No overtime pay. I am definitely fully immersed into the Japanese business culture. Eh, what can you do? Besides the long hours/getting home around 1030pm exhausted stuff, work is actually pretty good. I am doing decently with balancing self study with regular classes, and as I get to know my students better and better teaching is more and more enjoyable. However, my extremely low level classes terrify me, but at least they are sweet and pretend they understand me. Ha.
I n e e d t o w o r k o n t a l k i n g s l o w e r a n d m o r e s i m p l y.

Oh uhhh did I mention IT'S THE WEEKEND???? I have been looking forward to the weekend since last Sunday night. I am going to a reggae festival on a small island off Fukuoka tomorrow with some friends. Apparently it is a big foreigner shin-dig, so I must say besides the appeal of being surrounded in English and people my height (Ok the 2nd was a bad stereotype on my behalf) I am kind of curious to see what sorts of people will be there. I have to be honest....many foreigners here are..uhhh.....well.....I'll just say they fit the stereotype of the people you would imagine come to Japan (pasty computer game nerd looking for a J girlfriend/boyfriend/whateverrr). I was told that people get kind of desperate here for friends as the proportion of foreigners to J people is obviously not even. The desperation increases when you realize 97% the J population only leaves their home for work/school. I was then given the advice to "not be friends with anyone I would not be friends with back home." True dat. Of course I am open minded and will give anyone a chance, but yeah I am seeing where this advice is coming from. But I am definitely curious to see what this festival will bring.

REGARDLESS it is good to get out and I at least get to go with cool, fun, normal people so no complaints there =)

Did I mention it is the weekend? Oh yeah and my toe is infected (yum) good thing I brought neosporin over as I would have no idea how to ask for it/read the katakana/kanji. And try to imagine doing charades for THAT ONE. Headache was bad enough (btw I just learned when I did "charades" for headache meds several weeks ago, I was actually sold the J equivalent to a midol/birth control kind of pill. Ha--it did relieve my headache though) That is all.

No comments: