Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Too many options.

So, I found this super cheap airline that flies out of Osaka once a week to the Philippines for about 6,000 yen (60 dollars)!!! I didn't think that budget airlines existed to fly internationally out of Japan, so clearly that is my way out to SE Asia (that is if I truly have the willpower to save for this proposed trip--which I really really really hope I do), considering other options are going to be around $300-500.

However, this now presents a new problem. Since I have to fly into the Philippines first, before then taking another ridiculously cheap airline to Thailand or Singapore or Vietnam, or wherever my little travel greedy heart desires, I thought I would look into what the Philippines has to offer, since you know, I'd be there anyway. I always thought of this country as dirty and dodgy (probably a lot to do with this country's blatant racism for other Asian countries), but now with some more knowledge of backpacking around it seems absolutely GORGEOUS and UNTOUCHED. That is a problem I hear about places like Thailand, Malaysia, etc because they have become so touristy it takes away a lot of the "feel." But although the cities in the Philippines sound just like the Japanese make the country out to be, it looks like the beaches and small islands are almost deserted and haven't been taken over by tourists yet. And you can do Spanish ship wreck diving tours, or dive with these famous whale sharks that are only in that area. So cool!! So you are probably wondering what this has to do with a problem? The problem is I will only have about a month to travel after my contract because I don't want to miss the holidays again. So, I need to be choosey about where I go. I don't like to bounce around so much you can't even get a good feel for a country or its people. So now I don't know where to go!!! SE Asia has wayyyyyy too many choices!!! =/

2 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Remember Crystal Bryan? I think she went to the Philippines quite a bit with her mom and grandma - you could email her about it and see what she thinks?? I've always wanted to go to Malaysia or Micronesia :) That would be sweet

Anonymous said...

Malt! You gotta be super careful in the Philippines. It's still really dangerous there, do you know any locals there? I could ask Herbie for her family's contact info but I don't think you should go there on your own :/ It IS beautiful there though (from Herbie's pics) - Jess