Thursday, October 2, 2008

Kyoto/Nara

I honestly can't be bothered to write you an entire story of my amazing trip, and I actually doubt you could be bothered to read it. So, I am going to go with the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Since I took over 500 pictures, that's like 500,000 words for you! Haha. I did caption them to guide your understanding through. I also promise it doesn't take as long as one would imagine to view all of them. But please try to, most of the pictures are great and really show Japan's beauty! I just couldn't stop snapping away! Haha, but then again, when can I ever? =)

I stayed at a very cool hostel that was a renovated gorgeous, old Japanese house literally in the dead center of Gion (downtown Kyoto where the Geisha go to play). The owner was awesome and treated us like we were guests at his home, rather than strangers. I met some very cool backpackers. It was weird. It was my first time meeting foreigners who don't live here and are just traveling through. They were so interested in my life here, and it felt weird having more experience with this country/language than everyone else! They really inspired me to travel as much as I can! Most were from Scotland, England, the Netherlands, and Australia. Very different kinds of people with different reasons to travel here. They were great. I also think staying at this hostel had a big influence on my experience, especially traveling alone. I think I made an excellent decision booking it.

I went to Nara, which is about 40 min away by train from Kyoto on my second day there. It was maybe the best part of the trip. There are so many temples to see in Kyoto, but many are a bit anticlimatic, and surrounded by tourists, so most "vibes" are killed. Also, I realized I don't have a very big attention span for touristy things. I go, take some pictures, say "Ok, I saw it..." and then move on, haha! I mainly enjoyed the nature of this trip, which is why I loved Nara so much. Hardly any tourists in the park, tons of wild deer, and just gorgeous scenery. Arashiyama was also a highlight. It's a huge park on the outskirts of Kyoto, with mountains, bamboo forests, and MONKEYS! I looooved the monkeys. It was quite a hike to get to them, but so worth it!

Anyway, I had a really great time, and although I returned sore and physically exhausted, I felt mentally recharged. I also realized I enjoy traveling alone. I met cool people to talk to/do things with at night if I wanted, but had complete freedom to do whatever I wanted! It was really liberating! It was also just a huge accomplishment to myself, that I was able to do/see everything I wanted to, navigate myself around a quite large city hardly knowing the language, and barely get lost. =) It gives me that "I really can do anything!" feeling.

Oh, and on a side note, my train pass was found! Like 15 days too late! But I was able to get sort of reimbursed. I got a percentage of the amount of days I had left on it, so only like $15, but that is better than being at zero I guess? See? My theory of Japan is SO accurate. People are very honest, yet ridiculous when it comes to common sense (e.g. returning a train pass 15 days after you find it) haha, jk. Sortttt of.... =)

Here are pictures for you....I promise they don't take that long to view =)
Kyoto day 1
Nara day 2
Arashiyama/Kyoto day 3
MONKEY VIDEOS (can you tell I was obsessed? haha).

PS-I removed the music. It annoyed me. It probably annoyed you too haha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....what do the five rocks at the Zen garden represent? Maybe one for each dollar of admission?

What's the story behind the guy with the green jacket at the restaurant, at the end of 1st day photos?

Lindsay said...

owner of the hostel I stayed at...

Anonymous said...

I was referring to the young guy with the hat at the table, clowning around. He's the owner?

Dad