Monday, November 10, 2008

Quick Weekend Getaway

This Sunday, I took a day trip with all the girls from the office to Kumamoto Prefecture (middle of Kyushu). We went to Kikuchi Kekoku, which is a famous area down there to hike around and admire the gorgeous scenery. Before our hike, we ate at a famous restaurant that is literally tucked away in the mountains surrounded by nature. It was really neat, and also had really good food too! I think maybe one of the best things about living in Japan, is it is my first experience living somewhere where there are true four seasons (and boy do these people live their lives by the seasons!). There was a lot of beautiful Autumn foliage, as well as just beautiful scenery to take in that I imagine looks this good every season! It was really special to see the fall leaves, because I have never seen this kind of thing in person before, being from Southern California, only in pictures! Then, we went to an onsen (hot spring). The one we went to was cool because we had the whole thing to ourselves for the majority of the time, and it was outdoors looking over a river and waterfall! The water is really good for your skin, because it is full of natural minerals, so instead of pruning out my skin like regular water, it actually made it really moisturized, almost like I was soaking in an oil bath--minus the greasy feeling! A perfect way to end a chilly day of hiking!

Of course I took a lot of pictures. I actually really enjoy taking pictures (as if you didn't notice!), but when I return to the states, would like to start taking photography lessons and start learning actual techniques for picture taking. I'm mainly interested in capturing landscape/nature scenes. This "realization" is kind of a big deal for me, because I think I may have found a true hobby/passion...and I have been searching for something like this for the past maybe 16 years? Nothing until this has really stuck!

Anyway here are most of the photos I took from the trip (along with wanting to become a better photographer, I am also working at cutting down on redundant photos)---
Beautiful pictures

In case you're feeling too "lazy" to view them, here is something to whet your appetite...

No comments: