Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tokyo


Taken from Tokyo Tower


I just got back from Tokyo today. It was a really fun trip. I thought it was a pretty cool city. I went to Ginza, Shibuya (where the busiest pedestrian intersection in the world is), Harajuku, Tokyo Tower (looks pretty much like the Eiffel Tower--just taller-coincidence? I think not, silly competitive Japan), and saw some night life. I was going to go to the fish market (apparently the biggest fishmarket in the world) but you have to wake up around 4am to do so...and it just didn't happen haha. Unfortunately, on Sunday which is a good day to see all the crazies, it was pouring rain so I didn't get to see too much of that dress up as anime character scene, or what not. But since I see a little of that here and there I get the point. It was much nicer weather on Monday though, thankfully, so I was glad to get some good views of the city (I'll post more pics when I feel like uploading).

However, I think Tokyo is a little overrated. I guess it is overrated in the sense that all of Japan is overrated--based on the image most people who have never been to Japan have of Japan. Everyone thinks Japan is Tokyo, and that Tokyo is this massive, futuristic, crowded city. But that is partly wrong. First of all, most of Japan is nature and non city. Second of all, Tokyo is just the same as NYC or probably London, etc. Just more compact and therefore more crowded. I guess my POV is a little jaded since I live in a large city in Japan already. Fukuoka is not close to the size of Tokyo, but it still has much of what Tokyo has, just on a smaller scale. So, maybe my perception of Tokyo is a bit different than someone who has never been to Japan's perception would be, as all that "omg that crazy Japanese stuff" doesn't really phase me because I see it every day. But, besides that, at the end of the day, Tokyo is just any other big city-full of overpriced shopping and restaurants. There isn't a whole lot to really see either besides the usual big city stuff-museums, etc. I think it's more of an "experience" than a sight seeing place. But I also think you can get a lot of that elsewhere here. I guess what I am trying to say is, I am glad I went and saw Tokyo, because I think it is something you should see when you come to Japan, but I don't know if I have a desire to return.

I think my interests have a big impact on my impression as well. My parents will be shocked, but I am these days more interested in nature sights/the outdoors rather than shopping or clubbing. Apparently the club scene in Tokyo is good, but since I don't like clubbing, I wouldn't really know/care. Being in Tokyo also really made me realize my appreciation for Fukuoka, and glad I don't live there. Like I said, Fukuoka is not Tokyo by any means, and probably not as "exciting" but the simplicity of it as a big city, and the fact it has a "local" feel makes it really great. To get anywhere in Tokyo, you have to change train lines several times, sit (but most likely stand) on crowded cars for long periods of time, be wary of gropers (it's a HUGE problem, they even have women only cars-which I rode on this morning after a small incident), etc etc. Also, no one lives anywhere near the fun/exciting parts because it is so expensive, so when you go out at night you have to either commit to staying out all night (which can get old) or make the last train at midnight-otherwise you face around a 100 dollar cab fare. I love that I can go out here in Fukuoka, and if I don't make last train (which I hardly ever do), I can either technically walk home in about a half hour or take a cab for less than 20 bucks. We may not have as MANY clubs/restaurants/overpriced shopping centers/museums to choose from, but it is plenty for me. This city really suits me.

All in all, I guess my point is, Tokyo is not really what we as Americans envision it to be. But it is a nice city. So, if you have the opportunity to see it, you definitely should. But please don't plan an entire vacation around it (there is just so much other worthwhile stuff to see here-most underrated/maybe even unknown to the Western public), and if you don't make it to Tokyo, don't deem yourself a failure and kill yourself. The end.

Adding to one of the reasons I am glad I don't live in Tokyo--I had to take the train to the airport alone this morning (the cheapest flight I could get back left at 7:30am so I had to leave around 5:30am to make my flight and I can't blame my friend for not wanting to wake up for that journey haha). I was quite scared about this "adventure" as I had to switch trains several times and it is just so hectic here!!! See below:
Only PART of Tokyo's train/metro line... (I was too lazy to upload several maps)
Fukuoka's metro line (trains not included, but still you get the point)...haha.


I am going to Kyoto this weekend-that I am really excited about. Then my "jet setting" month is coming to an end...traveling every weekend is kind of exhausting!

2 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Wow. Those metro lines look like Vienna. It's funny that after a while you get so good at them that you can time them JUST right, but if you miss one - it totally messes up the rest of them! hahha!! :)

Maryanne said...

Gee, I guess all those forced family outings of camping, hiking and exploring nature are finally beginning to pay off!
Love, Mom