Monday, September 8, 2008

Nothing too special

going on over here...but just felt like writing a little something...

My weekend went by way too fast! We had a school party on Saturday. We hadn't had one since my welcoming, so it's been a while. I may have already explained how parties work in Japan, but whatever, I'll explain again. There is never just one party. We started the first party at a small izakaya (Japanese restaurant/bar), and it was kind of cool because everyone paid 3500円 (about $35), except us because we are special, and it was all you could eat/drink. As in your table could order literally anything they wanted on the menu. So it was a good opportunity for me to try some foods I have been putting off for various reasons. Like, Motsunabe. Nabe is like a kind of stewish meal that is cooked on the table in front of you...motsu is cow stomach =) mmmm. Hence why I wasn't so into trying it before, but everyone kept saying how delicious it is, so I finally made a table order me some. It wasn't so bad. I usually hate intestine/organ stuff, but this didn't have the same texture so it was OK. Ok, I am way off topic. Anyway, we played a game that I concocted. It was a "bingo scavenger hunt" where the teams had to ask other teams if they had the items on their cards (like in their purse/pockets/whatever). We made it ridiculously hard by putting the most random things on ever--like a bottle of honey for example, but somehow people got bingo. Then, we headed over for the second party, at a different izakaya. Usually after the first party, the crowd gets halved, but everyone was having a good time so maybe 75% of the original party went. The second party is always a bit more relaxed because we, the staff, aren't as obligated to socialize with everyone. However, I had a blast running around drinking and eating with different tables and taking funny pictures with them. Then, we went to the third party, which usually has like four-five people, yet we had around 12-15 (this is now maybe 2am), and kept eating and drinking. By then I was tired and out of money so I went home, but a bunch of people still carried through to a FOURTH party to sing karaoke until the first train was running. Anyway, our students are great. Japanese people sure love to drink--even if they are horrible at handling alcohol. It was a lot of fun. It's things like this that I like about Japan and wish existed in The States.

PS- Speaking of America--this election is kind of getting silly. Maybe I am just getting the news in a weird way here in Jland, but the coverage/topics that are covered are more like TMZ/Perez Hilton material than a reputable PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.

No comments: