Thursday, December 25, 2008

Survived.

OK, it is midnight over here, so technically I have just survived my first time being away for the holidays (New Years doesn't count so much). Christmas wasn't too bad. I did work, but it was a really easy day. In fact I only had to teach one class! I also got some sweet Christmas cards from students with thoughtful messages about enjoying my lessons--those are the moments when your hard work feels paid off. After work I went with some coworkers to a "Spanish" restaurant downtown to eat some "Mexican" food. It actually wasn't too bad (or maybe my standards have just reached desperation regarding that kind of cuisine). But anyway, it was nice to sit in that kind of atmosphere and eat something that wasn't Japanese food for a change. However, I have learned my lesson regarding ordering margaritas over here. Last time a friend ordered one, she got about 1 oz worth of clear liquid and paid about ten dollars for it. I took a leap of faith and ordered one tonight. It was brought out to me in a martini glass about the size of a shot glass, almost clear. I thought-that better be 80% Patron for the 700 yen I am paying! But alas, it was weak. Oh well. Live and learn. It's a much smarter idea to just stick with a beer at these kinds of "novelty" places, otherwise you can wind up a bit disappointed.

But can I just say one thing? My coworker told me, "Just wait. Go outside on the 26th and EVERYTHING will be gone. Christmas will not exist." I thought he was exaggerating. We were walking to the restaurant around 9:30 on CHRISTMAS NIGHT and there were tons and tons of workers in cranes removing EVERYTHING. Lights on trees, decorations, etc. I wanted to be like NOOO at least wait until Christmas is actually over???? By the time we finished eating maybe 70% of the stuff in that area was GONE. Figures.

Now I have Saturday night to look forward to. The start of my winter holiday as well as our staff's bonenkai (end of year work party). It will include a 2 hour course meal and we are booked for about 5 hours of karaoke at a place that has COSTUMES!! --You might be going WOW FIVE HOURS, REALLY??!! But trust me, karaoke is a time vacuum. The time goes sooooo fast there, that is actually a great amount of time if you like singing, or are a mic hog like me. It's a good idea to book for that long because you get a special deal with all you can drink for a good price. Otherwise if you book for just two hours and then extend your time (which you ALWAYS wind up doing, because you know, you added all those songs you want to sing!), it can get very expensive hourly-- usually you go in with a 2,000 yen/person deal and come out with a 7,000 yen/person bill. Eeek. It is also important to do something entertaining like singing and dancing the night away while waiting for the first train to run. Sitting at a bar can get boring and sleepy after so long--And um...costumes!!!! Need I say more?? :)

ANYWAY I hope everyone's Christmas is fantastic (as you have just only BEGUN the day). But I bet it will be even MORE fantastic when I am home next year! He he he. Joking!
(I'm not THAT full of myself) ;)

1 comment:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Yeah....missing a holiday sucks bad :( Glad you made it through though!!!! Best wishes for the new years!