Thursday, April 16, 2009

If you are a lover of alive sea creatures don't read any further

No, don't worry, I didn't eat whale again (it's gross).

Some salary men I teach on Sat mornings asked me to go out with them tonight. We went to a place near the train station that is big on the fresh seafood. So I told them to order whatever since the entire menu was in kanji and I didn't feel like asking them to read every selection off. Anyway, lots of plates came forth, and one was a dish of beautifully plated squid sashimi (including dry ice coming out of a conch shell) that still had the body of the squid on it. But here is the twist--they told me it was still alive! I looked at it and realized sure enough, *he* was breathing. He was very fresh, and I did feel a little guilty, since he was basically watching me eat him. But then I pretended I didn't see him staring at me, and after we ate his sashimi, we sent him away and had the rest of him turned into tempura. He was very delicious. The end.

I know I sound horrible...but that is just how it is done here! And of course, one more "interesting" food to add to my ever growing list =)

No comments: